Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Giant's Causeway






Part of our reason for going to Belfast and Northern Ireland was to visit the Giant's Causeway. Legend be told, Finn MacCool the Irish Giant was in a bit of a feud with a fellow Scottish giant. He built these large stones to walk over to Scotland to spy on the giant. The giant awoke and went to chase Finn...Finn returned to Ireland rather quickly and in a ploy to preserve his life, his wife dressed him in infant clothing and put him in a crib. When the Scottish giant went to Finn's house and saw the "baby" he worried what Finn might look like in terms of size, if he could produce such a large baby. He ran back to Scotland in fear....ripping up the stones on his way so Finn could not follow him.


These stones are awesome! They are NATURAL volcanic rock formations, and absolutely stunning. The rocks continue underground and emerge in Scotland on the other side. Scott and I stayed here for quite a long time, just revelling in the Earth's beauty! The last image was amazing! The colors seemed unnatural...this was our first image as we cleared the ridge, before coming to the Causeway! LOVE IT!!!!!

3 comments:

Alli said...

Ha-everyone knew you were so cool. Thank you so much...it's really hard on me to take Bio and feel like I'm failing at something and you make it easier for me to succeed.

Andrea said...

Wow! I want to go there so bad.. I love that picture the second one of you... It looks pretty chilly.. I bet you want to go back.. Thanks for posting, they are so great... I posted some of Kaid's birthday, and other's.. look... Love you..
Dre

Kristen said...

You have quite the knack for fable telling. It was equally impressed with your pircures, how cool is that? I want to see more castles too, this place looks too cool! Sorry it took me so long to comment, I had to wait for Ann to comment first :)